A new favorite quote.

"Because someone we love is in heaven, a piece of heaven dwells in our home."

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Tyler update from Lisa

Today was a good day for Tyler. He seemed happy and very awake today. Mom and I went to visit him today and we played some basketball. Tyler really loved it. But, I think Tyler's favorite part of it all was watching my Mom play basketball. Tyler and I both got a kick out of it. My Mom is pretty good too. I was impressed.
After we played basketball we took him for a walk a couple of times because today was such a BEAUTIFUL day!!! I love warm weather, I decided. But, he had a good time. I did tease him for not having Jamie's cool sunglasses on. He smiled at that one. I told the story of the sunglasses in one of the posts, just if you don't get the joke :) We took some pictures of Tyler with Mom and I outside today, and I looked at my camera to make sure it looked good and Tyler wanted to look to make sure he looked good, and I showed him the picture and he was worried about how his hair looked. It was too funny.

He was doing better today at swallowing but still had a hard time. I don't know how his eyes were the other day, but they didn't seem to be too bad today. Both of his eyes are starting to go lazy on him and so in order to try to get them back, he will close his eyes and focus and when he opens his eyes again, they are normal. His MRI is scheduled for next Tuesday or Thursday. We aren't sure which day yet. But this will determine what is going on in his brain to see what is causing his eye and swallowing problem. So, they are trying to get that fixed. Hopefully sooner rather than later. The reason it is taking them so long to get Tyler in to get an MRI is because his medicaid is still pending and because of that they have to go through this whole long process before they can get Tyler in. Don't ask me why the medicaid is still pending. I am not sure yet. :) In fact, I will ask somebody tomorrow about that. I am kind of curious myself.

Anyways, he did so great in physical therapy today. He is walking a lot better. Instead of crossing his feet when he walks, he now keeps them straiter. Not all the way strait, but that will come in time. It seems that whatever the therapists have him do, it is so easy for him. It's amazing how much he has come since this all started.

They got the x-rays back on his feet and it looks like his toes aren't broken. So, that's definitely a good thing. I guess he just has some tissue damage or something. I don't know the technical "medical," term. So, he just has to wait for it to heal for it to stop hurting. Hopefully it goes away sooner rather than later.

But, we got a ton of smiles out of him today. It's always a good day when you can get him smiling a lot. The last two times I have been there he hasn't cried....to me anyway. He is becoming more aware of things and is wanting to have a conversation with us. In fact, the nurse came in today and was telling my Mom and I about when Tyler's MRI is scheduled and all of the specs on that, and after she left, Tyler asked what was going on. He wanted to be in the loop, so we told him what was up. It was cool to see that he was asking us questions and trying to have a conversation with us like he use to. I love to see that.

Tyler also knows how long he has been in the care center for. So, I think he is, in a way, starting to come to terms with this whole situation. It's still hard, and it's going to be that way, until he gets better. If he thinks about it too much, that is when he becomes emotional. We try to keep him distracted so that he isn't thinking about that all the time. So, we just have to take it a day at a time and just remember that this is still going to be a roller coaster for all of us. So, with that being said, here are some pictures of Tyler today.



























































I thought I would join Tyler and do the peace sign with him.















Proof of him smiling!!!!!















This is a letter Tyler wrote to Corey. It says:" Corey, What's up man. Happy Birthday man. I love you tons. Love, Tyler."

I just think this is the sweetest letter and Corey is so lucky to receive this from him. But, look at how well he is writing. He has done so much better since the last time I saw him write. That's another amazing thing he's doing!!!!

Hopefully next week I will get him doing his therapy on video and we can show you how well he is doing.

2 comments:

  1. that letter to Corey is awesome. If that isn't a great birthday present, I don't know what is. I'm glad you had him write this, it is good for both of them. I'm so glad he is doing better too, he hasn't been quite as emotional, and you are right, I think he is coming to terms with things. Thank you for your update, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I feel like we have missed out on a TON! We went to Vegas since I had spring break and man did we miss him! We couldn't stop thinking about him...especially on Sunday! And of course...we got him some stuff! We can't wait to come and give it all to him! I love the letter that is so cute...and I love the pictures and I'm sure he LOVES playing basketball with you guys! I'm so sad about his eyes and swallowing though. I'm sure he is so frustrated and I feel so bad! Your dad is very sweet and called us today and let us know where he is at and what is going on so we will be able to see him very soon! Thanks for the update! When we go and visit him I will post ours on this also!

    ReplyDelete