A new favorite quote.

"Because someone we love is in heaven, a piece of heaven dwells in our home."

Friday, March 27, 2009

A rough day - Updated by Jamie

So, Lisa and I went up to see Tyler today. I almost didn't go because I sometimes I feel like I am spending too much time away from home. But I am so glad I went because Tyler was having a super hard day today. When we got there, he was kind of sleeping in bed but we could tell by his restlessness that he wasn't completley asleep. When he realized we were there, he started getting emotional and tried to tell us that something was wrong but he didn't know what. It was really hard to understand him, at first I thought it was just that he was trying to wake up. Lisa and I could tell immediatly that something just was not right. He couldn't open his eyes very well, and when he did they would just cross. He couldn't speak very well, or when he did it was very slurred and we couldn't understand a word coming out of his mouth. His speech has been getting better and we have been able to understand what he says for the most part, but we could not understand anything at all. Then he started twitching his neck to the right a little bit. Things just were not right, but we were able to get him out of bed to go eat some lunch. Lisa bought him a burger and fries from Wendy's. We had him take a bite of his burger and we could tell that he was really struggling, not only couldn't he swallow it, but he wasn't able to chew it either. The coordination of his tongue to teeth just was not there. I left Lisa with him and went to find his speech therapist and physical therapist. They did some observations and said something was definetly wrong. His PT gave him some kind of shake, I think it was like a protein shake and he did ok with that. As soon as we gave him a french fry, they could see that he was not chewing the way he should. Some bites it took him like 5 minutes to chew and swallow, and some bites he would chew that long but couldn't swallow it at all. He only got a few bites of his lunch today. They said he couldn't get anything down for breakfast either.
So, while we were all helping him eat and drink he got a little bit better and better but not back to his base line. Susan, his speech therapist said these were the kinds of things he was doing on Monday evening before they got him to the hospital, the only thing different today was his smile was ok, unlike the other day when it was not symetrical.
Susan was able to get him to say the names of his family members, but he really had to work at anunciating and a lot of the things he said were things we really had to work hard at understanding what he was trying to tell us. I could see as he talked his tongue was not working right, it woudn't relax but it was curled up to the top of his mouth a lot. Another thing too that we noticed was that he is curling his feet in. Not only because his toes hurt, it was a bit worse than just his toes hurting. And his head will twitch to the right side but it is quick, but noticeable enough.
So, we got the head nurse to come down and talk to us and help us out here. She was able to get the results of the EEG for us, and nothing showed up on that either. They are not giving him any medications except an antibiotic for his toes and a UTI and an anti-depressant along with some vitamins. His vitals were fine today and have been fine. So, I asked what do we do now? We can't just sit here and watch him get progressivly worse, there has to be something we can do. I know nothing is showing up on any of the tests, but there has to be something that someone is not catching, why else would he be getting worse? The dr. that works at the care center thinks he could be having some seizure activity even though it didn't show it on the EEG. They said, if things get worse they will send him back to the hospital for more evaluation and testing. We are working on bumping up his appointment with the neurologist but of course they were closed today.
So, is everyone as confused as I am? Why did he do so well for a couple of days after testing was done and then drop back to this horrible level again? What is going on in his brain that nobody is finding? This whole thing is so hard for Tyler, as everyone can imagine. He was really emotional today as well as very frustrated that we couldn't understand what he was saying. I know he is scared, and I am scared for him. How much more of this can he take, can we take? Lisa and I told him he needed to start saying his prayers again and just telling Heavenly Father that he needs his help. I told him too that he needs to have the faith and understanding that He will help him too. I know I need to have more faith too, it is just so hard to see him like this. Especially when he was doing so well and now other things are going on that we can't explain. We said a prayer with him before we left, and I know he felt the spirit. Its always hard to leave him, but it was especially hard today not knowing how he is going to be.
I did suggest to one of the nurses too that maybe they need to start him on soft foods again like puddings and applesauce and mashed potatoes, things like that. He has lost so much weight since this all started, like 45 or more pounds and he really can't afford to keep losing weight.
I feel like there is something that I am leaving out, but can't think of what it might be. Please just keep praying for Tyler and our family. This is all so hard for everyone, and we just need to pray that Heavenly Father will help us through this.
Sorry if I discouraged anyone, just keep the faith that Heavenly Father has a plan for Tyler, and we may not know what that plan is now, but He will help him through this and get him stronger.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh I'm sorry that things are not going as smoothly as it has been. I hope that Tyler is able to go back to the hospital for them to run more tests. I know how frustrating this can be now but it will smooth again soon. As always I have a prayer for your family. Keep the faith and don't let this discourage you. I've always known you to be a very positive person so don't let this bump in the road change it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay first of all thank you so much for all the medical updates we have been dying to know everything. Second...I'm soooo sad about Tyler and his eyes and swallowing. We went today and your right...it's so hard because he has been progressing so much. I do have pictures that I will update but it was really hard. He could barely open up his eyes. Please let us know when you find out what is causing that and his swallowing. Your right though...we can't give up and we need to keep praying. That is what is going to get Ty through this! Your such a sweet sister and I know he appreciates all of you and all of the visits! He wouldn't be where he is at without them! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete